Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Incomplete and Insecure

Yesterday was the first "Pizza Day" of the school year, and Will's first one ever.  I didn't pay it much mind - Will loves pizza, so I figured he'd enjoy the special treat.  Ha.  Goes to show what I know.

When I got home and pulled out his school folder, I found a note from his teacher inside.

Dear Mrs. A, 

Just wanted to let you know that Will was very upset at lunch today.  When I got back from my lunch he was crying/sobbing because he did not have his lunch bag.  The lunch monitor gave him his pizza and explained that it was his 'special' lunch - but he didn't want to eat it.  I gave him a cuddle and comforted him until he settled down and then I was able to get him to sit at a table with me and he ate his pizza after the other children had gone outside.  I reassured him that he would have his lunch bag back tomorrow.

Mrs. R.

I guess it's important to consider how the world looks through the eyes of a four-year-old.  As far as he is concerned, for the last two and a half months, his little Hot Wheels lunch bag has been the one thing that doesn't change, no matter what.  The occasional supply teacher, different activities, a new "Student of the Day" each morning -- kindergarten is a crazy place, full of new experiences every day.  Is it any wonder a little guy would latch on to the one constant thing in his days, and miss it when it wasn't there?

Poor little man.  Oh dear.


6 comments:

Everyday Goddess said...

Aw, that is sad to hear!

I hope today was much much better.

Brian Miller said...

aww give him a hug...it is a lot to be thrown at the little ones...

on the other hand i love pizza day...that is when i go to school for lunch...

Eric 'Bubba' Alder said...

I'm surprised he left the house without his Hot Wheels lunch bag. Poor little guy. Breaks your heart when little things to you become such a big tragedy for him.

Monkey Man said...

Change is hard. Poor little guy.

Possum said...

I got such a lump in my throat reading this :(
Maybe some pizza will cheer us all up :)

Katherine Krige said...

should be interesting to see what happens next pizza day. Success or never to eat pizza again.