Monday, May 17, 2010

Won't Get Fooled Again

Dear Reader,

Some of you have visited my little corner of the internet before.  I will take this moment to welcome you back, and ask you to bear with me for a moment here while I address those unfamiliar with me and my little blog.

You see, there seems to be some complete arse who has infiltrated emails everywhere.  This particular arse has some how wormed his or her way into the email systems of many, many, people and SPAMMED EVERY DARN CONTACT they have on file with poorly worded messages suggesting that the recipient check out some super cool website selling electronics.

I used to laugh at people who fell for such scams, opening emails they had no business opening.  Well, okay...I didn't laugh.  But I certainly thought I was above such things.

This is, apparently, not the case.  I have been infiltrated.  Twice.  And oh, how it shames me to admit that sad fact.

The reason I bring this up here, dear Reader, is that I had my blog set so that I could auto-post through sending an email to Blogger.  Ahhh....now you understand, right?  This silly email ended up posting stupid crap on my blog.  And now, everybody in the whole wide world who is getting spammed by this irritating message and does a search on it ends up Googling themselves right here to my blog, undoubtedly thinking that I'm the asshat who started this whole thing and plotting my virtual demise.

The first time I ended up spamming myself, you would think I might  have made the intellectual leap and decided it would be a wise idea to take preventative steps.  But no!  I was naive, foolishly assuming it was a one-time issue.  This folly ended up biting me firmly upon the backside because I was hammered again today.  True, my blog has never received so much traffic.  But I am not sure it's exactly the sort of attention that I was looking for.  Despite what some folk say, I think there actually can be bad publicity...

Rest assured, dear Reader, that I have now turned the auto-post via email function OFF, and do hope to have put an end to random posts about buying your friend a motorcycle, or whatever the spam-of-the-day happens to be.

To those that stumble across me on the hunt for the doofus responsible for this whole mess, I apologize for the Google link that leads you astray and brings you here.  The post was deleted very quickly after it appeared but search engines seem to be a bit slow at grasping this fact.

To those of you that have simply popped by to see what I've been rambling about today because you are in the habit of doing so (regularly or otherwise), thanks for sticking with me this far...and I apologize if this post doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

And to all of you, I offer this little tidbit of wisdom...one that inspired me in my decision to change my blog settings after this second incident of self-spam.  Enjoy!

Yours truly,
Me



8 comments:

Brian Miller said...

i knew it was you! smiles.
that sucks...i hope hackers and spammers get infested with fleas...

kkrige said...

That sucks that it has got into your blog too! Ack. I am with Brian on this one. A plague on their houses!

sheri... said...

hey, me :) i had a hard time getting to your site today but once i got here it was fine...don't you just love, love, LOVE technology??? glad that everything has worked out well :)

rxBambi said...

my yahoo address got spammed and sent some stupid email to all my contacts...even husbands BOSS!!!

not good, but all okay!

evalinn said...

That´s such a shame!

Monkey Man said...

Grrr. Some people shouldn't be allowed any form of human contact. Sorry you got 'hit'. Glad you're back.

Jingle said...

Strange, I received no spam on blogger account...
Glad that things are resolved within your blog.

Kala said...

I am the rare bird who uses Word Press so maybe that's why I wasn't affected. Sorry you had to go through that!